Sewing Bucket List

by Ramona on December 9, 2011

Do you have a sewing bucket list?  You probably do, and don’t even know it.   The bucket list below had to be cajoled out of the ASG staffers but we would like to know what the sewing enthusiasts out there, who do not inhabit the ASG office think of achieving in their sewing life before, you know, kicking the bucket. While the bucket lists from Anne Marie, Maria and Barbara are pending, enjoy reading ones from the rest of us  (laugh at us, if you must).  Snarky comments in parenthesis are courtesy of writer of this blog.

Jennifer Kelley, Administrative Assistant:

1. Learn how to use my sewing/embroidery machine. Impulse buying is not a good thing. They should have a waiting period for sewing machines, like guns!  (Right on target, Jennifer).

2. Make a whole outfit with fabric from our own sewing room “store” at home! (Where’s the gun slingin’ and chargin’ Jennifer we all know and love).

Margo Martin, Executive Director:

1. I’m embarrassed to admit that the number one thing on my list is to learn how to do embroidery on my embroidery machines! (Oh, Margo, we all have to start somewhere…)

2. Try out some of the new patterns I’ve collected this past year at conference. (We’d like to see our swanky E.D.  in a swanky new wardrobe).

3. Do a major clean up in my sewing room – maybe pass along some things I’m not really using anymore. (I’ll be very glad to help you clean up ).

Ramona Baird, Education, whiz behind the ASG webinars:

My bucket list actually includes two things not related to sewing: Learning to play the piano and learning to fly an airplane. (Yo, Ra-mo-na!).

The first one, I might contemplate giving some serious thought to at some point in the future; the second, I’d rather spend money on sewing toys than flying lessons!

On my bucket list for sewing is:

1. To impart as much knowledge as I can to others who wish to learn the craft. (Um — you’re already doing that)

2. Learn to use my quilting machine more proficiently. (Please teach me. I’ll learn on your quilting machine, too)

Betty Watts, Notions Publisher & Advertising Director:

1. Ever since I was in high school, I’ve wanted to study at the Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. (Adopt me and take me with you!).

2. I’d like to live long enough … and have enough free time … to sew all the wonderful fabrics I own. (May all of us live to be 110 — just to see you do that).

Samina Mirza, Membership Administration, writer of this blog:

1. Sew up the %&@$! fabric stash.

That's a stash???

This bucket list was inspired by GenQMag’s awesome blog writers. Thank you, GenQMag

So, readers, please comment here with a bucket list of your own. We’d LOVE to see it.

Samina

Follow us on Twitter @SewingGuild

{ 8 comments }

Jake December 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Thanks guys for the refer! Oh, and Betty? You ain’t gonna live long enough to use all of your fabric! If you’re like the rest of us, it just can’t happen. 🙂

Samina December 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Hey, Jake! Thanks for the inspiration and the comment. That’s what I’m telling Betty….

Sue S December 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sewing up the stash is an unreachable goal; it will never happen (especailly if we keep shopping!)

My list includes:
1. Taking a week-long class with either Patti Palmer or Sandra Betzina,
2. Teaching sewing classes somewhere in the Midwest
3. Going on a New York City fabric shopping trip.
4. Writing a book. Maybe about sewing, maybe not.
5. Winning the lottery so I can do 1 and 3…

Samina December 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Sue,
I love 4 & 5! Be an author and be rich — good things to aspire towards.

sue December 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I agree with Jake. Admitted it to myself last spring when I “organized” my stash. At least that takes the pressure off of doing so. Now I just sew what I love the most on any given day and not worry about the rest. I am trying to limit adding to it though but know that won’t last long but there’s worse things to spend my money on.

My bucket list included a TNT pair of slacks that look good while standing but ones that I can also sit down in:)

Samina December 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm

A well-fitting pant should be on my list too, Sue! So achievable.
Thank you for the comment!

Jane December 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

1. A new entry to my bucket list comes directly from the National Conference in LA–it keeps jumping out of the bucket and tapping me on the shoulder, so will be doing this soon: a project, don’t know what yet, inspired by Koos. That may help with the next item.
2. Make a dent in my stash, including the yards of silk I bought at LA from the Silk Baron. With several fantastic independent fabric stores within easy driving distance, this is problematic.
3. Get back into tailoring. Working full time did damage to my sewing, as I was simply too tired to work on any serious projects at night, and weekends were packed with other things that needed my attention. Now that I’m retired, I plan to make a winter coat by next fall.
4. Develop some skill with machine quilting.

Kip May 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Sew it ALL…. ALL the patterns, ALL the fabric, ALL the thread LOL

Bucket list:
1. Sew a man’s suit. I have husband and three sons, I should be doing this!
2. Sew a wedding dress. No girls in sight, maybe my oldest son’s girlfriend will ask me to 🙂

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: