Take a Break. I Mean, Take a Break From Epic Fashion Sewing

by Ramona on June 1, 2012

Lovely readers, what do you sew to get your sewing mojo back?

If you’re like me, the things on your sewing to-do list are almost all epic fashion projects. (I first ran across the term “epic” sewing in author/teacher Sandra Betzina’s book “Power Sewing”. She knows her language, that Sandra). You know — the projects with a permanent home on your list and in your mind, but take a very long time to actually get made in all their 3-D, fashionable glory.  The reasons for this sewing funk may be many & varied so we won’t go into that.  What I do know is that to keep my creative and sewing muscles working, I take up cute & quickly made projects, be they fashion or home dec or crafty.  This post is dedicated to all cute-&-quick projects of the sewing world.

Since, due to certain personal responsiblities I am not able to concentrate on my current “epic sewing” obsession, I started to make a coffee cozy detailed in a past blog post featuring The Sewing Loft Blog. I’ve said this before and will say it again that you cannot make only one coffee-cozy. I’ve made three! This quick project jump-started my sewing mojo considerably.

My BFF during the morning commute

Closes with velcro

Glimpse the inside of cozy?

Binding foot in action

This cozy used scraps of old “Mary Engelbreit” fabric, which were leftovers from a previous project.  The embroidered motif did lots to cheer me up, and my machine’s bias-binding foot saw the light of day to apply a binding around the cozy. There was a hiccup in the binding process (total operator error), which resulted in a cover-up with pink ribbon embellishment (first pic). What a cute scrap-buster and mood-restorer!

So, let us know what YOU do to get your “epic sewing” mojo back! Please comment below!

Samina, American Sewing Guild, follow us on Twitter @SewingGuild

{ 10 comments }

Sue Slottke June 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Samina — the hiccup was a total design update!! I love the fabric, and those little projects are a great way to get back into gear. Fast turn around, major satisfaction when they are finished. I love to make small projects like cotton skirts with elastic waists for the granddaughters, and small bags and pouches to hold just about anything!

Samina June 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the comment, Sue. Someone could/should write a book about the creation of design features out of sewing hiccups!

andie June 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Sometimes I like to make random little projects. I got into one phase when I wound up turning out about a dozen purses. I’ve also created wine glass coasters and headbands as quick “I’ve got to stitch something” projects. The headbands are awesome ways to use up scraps, plus that means I now have several headbands that match the clothing I’d made from the same fabric. 🙂

Ramona June 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I call those little hiccups “Design Opportunities!” Maybe that would be a good name for a book!

Donella Petro June 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Sounds very familiar: Hard to get at the sewing sometimes. I like your word for the projects. “epic”. I have a hard time just getting motivated to start something. There is so much to do.
I like the coffee cozy. We just did a blanket stitch edge one with 4-H kids at project workshop day. Quick items are great for gifts.

Kristi Mirocha June 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

We are soooo on the same page, Samina. My schedule allows for either feast or famine sewing. Famine times leave me feeling bad so I churn out small items by grabbing 30 minutes here and there. (These days it’s embroidered cards, scrubby dishcloths, seasonal kitchen towels.) What is the most amazing is that when I give these “little nothings” as gifts, they reap the grandest thanks. And don’t get me started on hiccups, design opportunities is exactly what they are!

Meg @ Mood June 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hi Samina, sometimes I sew tote bags to get my mojo back. Nothing too major, just a little canvas and leather. That helps get me back into the swing of things.

Heather June 2, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Samina, they came out wonderful!! I love the added binding and trim details!! And speaking of “epic” projects…. I am gearing up to take on some personal draperies… They are going to take forever! I am just going to tackle one room at a time….
Will keep you posted.
~Heather

Samina June 4, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thank you all for your comments & sharing! Feel free to share any quick mood-lifting sewing project with us (you know where to find me).

Leslie @ ASG in the SLC June 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I try to make something I “want” to sew, as opposed to what I should be sewing (finishing that epic UFO, hemming, etc…) that usually does it for me. :o)

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: