Artful Machine Embroidery = Beautiful Wearer

by Ramona on October 19, 2012

ASG member Bobbi Bullard insists that while she loves to make beautiful embroidered clothing, she loves to make clothing that make HER look beautiful even more. Love that!  Isn’t that the whole idea behind adornment? To make the wearer look beautiful?

Bobbi’s articles have been published in numerous sewing publications, which is where I found the inspiration for my much worn, much loved, almost tattered top (see picture at the bottom of this post). And now she’s gone and written a book.  Just so you know, the talent pool of ASG members is out of this world!

Artful Machine Embroidery by Bobbi Bullard is neatly organized, and takes us through the principles and elements of design, as they apply to machine embroidery. At the end of the book, she takes the reader through her own design process, including sources of inspiration.  In between, there are tutorials for everything from selecting the tools to design placement, to hooping techniques. Also served is a healthy dose of eye candy; add to that Bobbi’s personal anecdotes and this book becomes a MUST HAVE.  There is a CD of Bobbi’s designs included with the book.  Yup.

Now …. what to make first. The brown wrap pictured on the cover?  Or the gorgeous white summer blouse on page 32?

Artful Machine Embroidery published by C&T Publishing has a release date of November 16, but Bobbi is selling the book right now through her own website!  Go to this link to order it.

My old bias cut linen top, embroidery inspired by a Bobbi Bullard magazine article.  OK, I see some blank spaces now………….

Dear readers, if you are a machine embroiderer do share some of your projects.  Is there a favorite piece you would like to share with us? Have you been inspired by Bobbi’s designs, or her magazine articles?  Write in the comments section below, and for Heaven’s sake buy her book right now.

Samina

American Sewing Guild, follow us on Twitter @SewingGuild

{ 13 comments }

Bobbi Bullard October 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Thank you Samina. I love your linen top and feel honored that you site my article as the inspiration.

Samina October 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Hey, Bobbi! I had so much fun making the linen top. As you can see, I have worn it almost to death and it still hangs in the closet.

Jenny K. Lyon October 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I just got that book and I love it! The garments are exquisite and I like the way the book reads-you feel like the author is talking directly to you, holding your hand.

Suzanne October 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Love the article – I have learned so much from Bobbi – she is one talented lady. Going tonight to her book signing, can’t wait to get the book in my hands!

Marcia Russell October 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I probably wouldn’t even have an embroidery machine if I hadn’t met Bobbi through ASG and now I’m acknowledged in her book. We are so thrilled to have Bobbi and other talented sewing professionals as part of our chapter. Her book is like having her speaking to you as you create your next project. I haven’t even looked at the designs included with the book yet, have you?

deb-of-pixeladies October 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Whenever I see Bobbi’s work, I ask myself if I should take up machine embroidery. Her designs are so elegant and wearable. I even bought the book for the eye candy–just in case I decide I find a few more hours in the day. If you think you want to start embroidering with your machine, or just want to improve your skills, this is the book for you!

Pam E ~Off The Cuff~ October 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Bobbi’s work sets the standard for chic and stylish embroidery!

Jacki McNeil October 20, 2012 at 4:39 am

While helping to proof the first copies, it was clear this was going to be one fantastic book. I couldn’t wait to get my copy, and tonight I did! Bobbi is talented beyond measure and does exquisite work. If you have an embroidery machine, you NEED this book! You will not be disappointed. Congratulations, Bobbi, on a job well done!

Tecla Shaffer October 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ever gone to one of Bobbi’s hands on embroidery classes and wish you took better notes? This book is the all encompasing must have for machine embroiders. Not only do you see all the wonderful “Bobbi” creations, you have step by step “how to” to encourage your creative juices to flow. Wonderful, wonderful book!

Jean at Dross into Gold October 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Samina,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog because now I can follow you!! I haven’t explored machine embroidery at all but it looks absolutely fabulous. Hmmm, might have to be my next creative investment. I’m looking forward to reading some of the earlier posts as well.

All the best, Jean

Roberta Kitowski October 25, 2012 at 4:25 am

I have had the pleasure of incorporating Bobbi’s designs into my or my daughter’s garments for years. I have always felt that her designs were superior in both the logical stitch out and the creative design. I’m thrilled with her book, which inspired me to try cut work using the design CD in the book. Awesome.

Porter March 19, 2013 at 3:57 am

It is in reality a nice and useful piece of
information. I am glad that you simply shared this
helpful information with us. Please stay us
informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

how to make steel targets May 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Admiring the commitment you put into your website and in depth information you provide.
It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out
of date rehashed information. Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your
RSS feeds to my Google account.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: